Second Hand Sunday
Second Hand Sunday
Second hand Sunday is an annual event held on the first Sunday in October, giving Clutha District residents the opportunity to give away their unwanted items - in essence it is a giant community street swap. Participants register their address with Council to be advertised which let others know you have items to give away.
If you're planning a spring clean, this is the time to do it! Previous participants have reported that most items put out at the kerb have been given a new home by others who are out looking.
We offer you the opportunity to register your address each year which them lets us publicise the locaations where people can go and look for items. It increases the chances of your items being collected by hunters as they will know where to look.
Second Hand Sunday works like a garage sale, but no money changes hands.
During Second Hand Sunday, participants may place any goods they have to giveaway out at the gate with a sign that states the items are free to a good home.
And if you forget to register you can still take part just put out a sign and have you items out at the street by 9am on Sunday (remember not to leave them out overnight).
Any Sunday can be Second Hand Sunday, you just put a sign out with your items to give away.
What else do I need to know?
1. Gather the items you want to give away.
2. Identify a suitable site on your property boundary - e.g. driveway or near your letter box
3. On Sunday from 9.00 am onwards:
- Display the sign on your letter box.
- Place items at the site no earlier than 9.00am.
- At 5pm remove any items left, if they are left outside your property you'll be in breach of a bylaw.
4. Exclusions: No food or dangerous goods, chemicals, faulty electrical equipment, firearms or rubbish.
If you are collecting items:
- Only collect items at households where the Second Hand Sunday poster is displayed.
- Only collect items between the advertised hours.
- We recommend you have electrical items checked to make sure they are safe.
- Do not enter their properties - no one wants to trespass.
Disclaimer: I understand I am responsible for uncollected goods and will move them back inside if not collected by end of day. By my participation in the Second-Hand Sunday activities I agree to abide by the terms and conditions set out and that the Clutha District Council has no liability to any person for any loss of or damage to goods or for injury or death to person whether arising from negligence or otherwise and in anyway caused by or connected with the Second-Hand Sunday activities. I agree that things such as food or dangerous goods like faulty electrical equipment, chemicals or firearms will be excluded from this activity.