About the Clutha District
Around 18,500 people call the Clutha District home. The population is largely rural, although we also have nine main urban centres, the largest being Balclutha, with a population of around 4000. Other main centres are Milton, Waihola, Lawrence, Owaka, Heriot, Clinton, Tapanui and Kaitangata.
The Council’s vision is that Clutha District is a great place to live, work and play.
The district is growing, and our overall outlook is positive. We’re very much open for business and there are great opportunities to live, work and invest in Clutha.
If you’re looking to live, work, study or visit Clutha District, visit Cluthanz.com.
- The Clutha District covers 6,334 square kilometres.
- Clutha District Council manages over $1 billion of infrastructure.
- Council maintains just over 2,900km of local roads and 360 bridges – the third largest local roading network in the country.
- There are 22 water schemes that deliver water to 15 urban areas and over 2,000 rural properties throughout the district.
- There are 11 wastewater schemes, servicing 14 towns/townships.
- Stormwater drainage helps protect people and properties across 13 of the district’s communities.
- There are 11,835 households that pay rates in the Clutha District.
- Clutha District is home to more than 6500 registered dogs.