Community Service Awards
The Clutha District Community Service Awards is an annual event recognising groups, individuals, and a year 13 student in the community who are doing great volunteer work for the Clutha District.
The following recipients were honoured at the 2023 Clutha District Community Awards, held at the West Otago Community Centre on Tuesday 20 June 2023.
Waihola Looking Forward was the supreme winner of the group award for the successful completion of the community led Waihola Playground Redevelopment Project.
Individual award winners (alphabetical order):
- Evan Dick for services to Kaitangata.
- Edward Fitzgerald for services to Lawrence/Tuapeka.
- Pam Keddell for services to the Toko Golf Club.
- Jill Wallace for services to Lawrence/Tuapeka.
- Graham Walker for services to West Otago.
- Hans Van Der Linden for services to West Otago.
Other groups presented with awards in the various categories included:
- Te Whare Puawai o Tokomairaro Inc - health and well-being
- Lovells Flat Women’s Institute – heritage and environment
- Tokomairaro Toy Library – arts and culture
- Tokomairaro Junior Netball Club – leisure and recreation
- West Otago Rural Kids – educational and youth
Year 13 Blue Mountain College student Sven Captijn was the successful recipient of the Youth Spirit Award for his outstanding contribution to his school and community and was presented with $750.
A high calibre award was presented to Ryan Williams and Charlotte Benington (South Otago High School), and Elizabeth Lamb (Blue Mountain College).
Winning recipients in each of the Community Group areas will receive $1,000 and the Supreme Winner of that group will receive an additional $2,000.
The recipient of the Youth Community Spirit Award will receive $750.
The awards are in three categories:
Individual awards: people can nominate an unsung hero in the Clutha community.
Youth Spirit Award: for a year 13 student who has greatly contributed to their school and community during their time as a student. Anyone can enter a student for a Youth Spirit Award (including the student themselves). The award is open to all Year 13 students, and multiple entries from the same school will be accepted.
Community Group Awards: For community groups that have achieved a special project in the past 12 months of benefit to our district under one of the following categories:
- Heritage & Environment - improve and revitalise the local environment, culture or heritage.
- Health & Wellbeing - to provide services that enhance the health and social wellbeing of people.
- Arts & Culture - enhance and increase participation in arts and creative leisure activities or improve community culture.
- Leisure & Recreation - increase participation and/or enjoyment in physical leisure activities and recreational pursuits or provide support to participants.
- Educational & Child/ Youth Development - improve and enhance the education of the community, or the educational or social development of children and youth.
The awards are presented annually at a formal ceremony.
For more information please contact Council on 0800 801 350.
The awards (previously the Trustpower Community Awards which were disestablished in 2018), have been picked up by the Clutha District Council and will continue as the Clutha District Community Service Awards.
2022 Award recipients
Award recipients in 2022 were Nathan Baldwin, Simon Cleverley, Francis Parker, Murray Paterson, Arthur White (posthumous), Dale Wyber, Mari Chacapna, Blessed Box Charitable Trust, Clutha Budget Advisory Support and Clutha Parks Trust.
2021 Award recipients
Lawrence Skate Park committee, Murray Harris and Marilyn Redditt were presented with Clutha District Council Community Awards for 2020 formally acknowledging their community service to the district.The Youth Community Spirit Award was awarded to Sophie Ruffell.
2020 Awards recipients
Gay Bloxham, Gloria McHutchon, Janet Noah, Joyce Beck, Kerry and Jeff Seymour were presented with Clutha District Council Community Awards for 2020 formally acknowledging their community service to the district.
The Youth Community Spirit Award was awarded to Annabelle Philps and Sydney Robertson.
2019 Awards recipients
Finlay Abernethy, Peter McPherson, Stu Michelle, Ila Ryan, Chris Shaw, Dawn Smith and Helen Keen were presented with Clutha District Council Community Awards for the 2019 year.