Water & Sewerage


​​​​​​​​​Water Services Overview

Council provides regular supplies of both potable water for both human consumption and stock drinking water in the district via 22 urban and rural water supply schemes.

Rural Water Schemes primarily provide potable water for stock but also provide for domestic consumption. The rural schemes are Balmoral 1, Balmoral 2, Clydevale/Pomahaka, Glenkenich, Moa Flat, North Bruce, Richardson, South Bruce, Tuapeka, Wangaloa, Waipahi Stock Water Scheme.

Some rural schemes provide water in bulk to smaller communities and urban schemes within their area of supply. The urban supplies are Clinton (Pomahaka), Kaka Point (Richardson), Waihola (North Bruce), Benhar (South Bruce/Stirling Treatment Plant), Stirling (South Bruce/Stirling Treatment Plant), Cherry Lane (South Bruce), Heriot (Moa Flat), Waikaka and Pukerau (Glenkenich). Most of these communities have restricted supplies to consumers while one or two are unrestricted.

Urban supplies include Balclutha, Kaitangata, Lawrence, Milton, Owaka and Tapanui. With the exception of Owaka, they provide an unrestricted supply of potable water for domestic, commercial and industrial use within each scheme area. 

30% of the water produced is for domestic consumption with the balance being largely used for stock water.

Information about required storage, restrictors, strainers, frost and stock protection, trees near Council pipelines, excavation work, fault reporting guidance on sterilisation of tanks for the rural water schemes (kindly provided by Public Health South) in the Clutha District can be found in our brochures page. 

Council has implemented a Water Loss Strategy and as part of that two brochures have been produced to advise people about the Clutha District's Water Supplies.  The brochures:Stopping the Leaks” and “The Facts - Keeping People Safe” can be found in our Brochures page​. You can also read this informative brochure from the Otago Regional Council called "Only Drain Rain."

Fault Reporting

Please, contact our staff first, rather than our contractor or your local Councillor, to report any problems with Council water supply, sewerage or stormwater systems. Your call will be passed onto our contractor for action, and also logged into our database as a service request where it will be recorded and the response can be tracked.

Rural Water Scheme Text Messaging

Council and City Care Water provide a text messaging service to advise of water scheme issues such as supply outages and boil water or conserve water notices.

This service is optional, and has been developed following consultation with Rural Water Scheme committees.  At any time, names and/or numbers can be added or deleted on request.

If you wish to be on the text-message list for this purpose, we obviously need your cell phone number(s). You can nominate more than one name & number.  Please provide your name, scheme and number by either: calling 0800 801 350 OR completing the form online here:

Please do not reply to any such text messages. Continue to contact Council in the usual way if necessary (see 'Fault Reporting' above).

Water and Sewer Connection Application Forms

Please visit our Forms & Guides page for copies of the water connection application form and sewer connection application form.

Excavation Work - How to Check Pipe Locations Online

Please remember that before carrying out any excavation work to check whether any underground pipes may be in the area. This can be done using our online mapping tool: how to check for pipe locations

Please note that pipes will not always be in the exact location as indicated by our mapping tool. If pipes are shown to be within 50-100m of where you are going to work, please contact Council on 0800 801 350 during office hours so our staff can locate pipes for you free of charge. 

The land owner/occupier will be charged for any such damage to Council pipes, unless caused in the course of normal farming operations which would include cultivation with farm equipment but not digger work.

Page reviewed: 21 Jul 2019 11:24am