Rural and Hazardous Waste


​Hazardous Material

It is the responsibility of the user of any hazardous materials to ensure they have a safe disposal option if they need to dispose of any leftover hazardous material after they have finished the job.

Wheelie bins and transfer stations must not be used for hazardous waste disposal.

The nearest place for safe disposal of hazardous wastes is located at Green Island, Dunedin. Contact 0800 4DELTA (0800 433 582). Other specialist disposal companies can be found in the telephone directory.

Hazardous waste is mainly liquid or solid (but can be gaseous) and can be ignitable, explosive, corrosive, reactive, toxic, infectious or radioactive.

 Some examples include:

  • asbestos
  • gas bottles
  • solvents e.g. turpentine, and solvent-based paints
  • oil and other petroleum products
  • lead acid batteries
  • industrial chemicals e.g. timber treatment or metal processing waste, redundant or spoiled stocks of processing or laboratory chemicals
  • household chemicals including redundant medicines and garden sprays
  • agricultural chemical waste and containers
  • explosives including fireworks, flares and ammunition
  • mercury
  • medical sharps

Hazardous waste does not include wood painted with lead-based paint, treated timber, household batteries (dry cell or gel batteries) or household smoke detectors. Although these materials contain potentially hazardous elements, the risk to human health and the environment is small and they may be disposed of through your domestic service or at a transfer station.

Reporting Hazardous Waste

Otago Regional Council Pollution Hotline  - 0800 800 033

If you're concerned about an instance of pollution in Clutha District, contact the Otago Regional Council. Use the 'Pollution Hotline' to report pollution to air, land or water. Your call will be dealt with in complete confidence.

Timely reporting makes a huge difference to the effectiveness of the Otago Regional Council's investigations. Otago is a big region, and they depend on the public to let them know when pollution occurs.

Report incidents while they are occurring or as soon as possible after they occur. For the Otago Regional Council to take action, they will need evidence. It's extremely difficult to find the source of the problem if the signs of pollution have disappeared by the time they get there.

Calls to the Pollution Hotline will be dealt with in complete confidence.

Special Waste

Special wastes are commercial or significant quantities of waste that are not hazardous but require special handling during disposal. Examples include sludges, decontaminated soil and odorous materials.

These materials cannot generally be accepted at transfer stations and will need to be transported directly to the landfill by arrangement and must be accompanied with a special waste permit.

Contaminated Soil

Contaminated soil can be soil contaminated by petroleum hydrocarbons such as petrol, oil or diesel. It needs special handling and must not be disposed of as cleanfill. Contaminated soil can be disposed of at Green Island Landfill in Dunedin. Arrangements must be made for disposal by contacting the Landfill Engineer at 0800 4 DELTA (0800 433 582) at least five working days in advance of the proposed disposal.

 The WorkSafe NZ and Environmental Protection Authority ​websites can provide specific information.

Rural Waste

A great quantity of waste materials can be generated during the operation of a farm, materials which have been difficult or costly to dispose of in the past. There are now alternatives to dumping or burning plastic farm waste, by recycling them through accredited voluntary product stewardship schemes. Plasback and Agrecovery both run recycling schemes for a number of different types of farm plastics, and Agrecovery also runs an agrichemical take-back scheme for unwanted or expired farm chemicals.

Agrecovery: Agrecovery is New Zealand's solution for the safe disposal of unwanted agrichemicals, and the recycling of empty containers, drums and IBCs

Chemicals: Free or subsidised disposal for unwanted chemicals. Keeping old or unwanted agrichemicals stored on your property presents an unnecessary risk to staff and family, livestock, pets and the environment. Don't leave them lingering for the next generation to deal with – book them for collection!

Containers 0L – 60L: Don't burn or dump, it's free to recycle! Agrecovery provides free recycling for plastic containers from over 3000 of the most common ag-chem, animal health and dairy hygiene products sold into the New Zealand market. So let's make burning and dumping a thing of the past!

Drums 61L – 1000L: Free on-property collection. Don't leave large drums and IBCs sitting empty on your property. Agrecovery can collect them to re-use or recycle and it won't cost you a thing.

Plasback:  Plasback can collect a variety of waste plastics. 

  • Baleage and Silage Sheets
  • Polypropylene Bags
  • HDPE Drum Recovery
  • Vineyard Nets
  • Twine

For more information visit

Page reviewed: 21 Jul 2019 11:59am