Roading & Transport

​​​​​​​​​​​Within the Clutha District, roads are managed by two separate roading authorities. Transit New Zealand takes care of the State Highways, while Council maintains all other roads, known as local roads. 

With a total roading network of 2916km, the Clutha District has the second largest local roading network in New Zealand. Of that 2916km, 27 % (776km) is sealed and 73% (2140km) is unsealed. Rural roads make up 95% of the total network.

However, roading assets we administer include more than just roads. There are also footpaths, bridges, streetlights and other assets that are associated with roads.

Main roading tasks include road, bridge and culvert maintenance and replacement; reforming and rehabilitating sealed roads; grading and metalling of unsealed roads; footpath maintenance and construction; seal extensions, car park maintenance and construction, street lighting and road safety engineering projects.

The majority of our roading activities are financially assisted by Land Transport New Zealand. For 2008/09 this is at a rate of 60% assistance. This means that local ratepayers have to fund 40% of the bulk of the costs of local roads. However, not all roading activities are eligible for financial assistance, for example, at the moment there is no assistance for footpath renewals and a majority of seal extensions.

Roading Application Forms

​Please visit out Forms & Guides Page for application forms relating to Roading and Transport - as of July 2018 this includes our new online forms which use the Submitica portal.

Dust Suppression

Following the 2016 Annual Plan process, there have been some changes to our dust suppression programme.

In 2015, people either applied to have dust suppressant put on their road or applied for a permit to do it themselves.

However, due to a policy change, residents can no longer use Council to apply the suppressant for them.

Instead, there are two options available:

  • Dust Suppression by Applicant - this allows residents to apply to Council for a permit to undertake dust suppression themselves  or employ a contractor to undertake  the work. Health and Safety requirements will need to be met prior to acceptance.  An application form can be found on our Forms & Guides webpage. Below is a list of companies supplying dust suppression services:
    • ​Southern Bulk Transport (03 453 4690)​


  • Semi-Permanent Seal - this allows residents to apply to have a semi-permanent seal applied to a section of road. This requires meeting certain criteria and a priority list has been developed to help carry out this process.
    • Having a semi-permanent seal applied to the road would be expected to last up to seven year. This could be more depending on traffic and weather conditions. This dust suppressant has very similar surface characteristics as a sealed road and will be maintained by Council once complete. The width of the suppressant will be determined by the width of the road.
    • If you meet the criteria, you are eligible for a 50% subsidy on 100 metre lengths, estimated cost ($8,625 including GST).
    • If you do not meet the criteria you can still get this suppression applied by paying the full amount.
    • Council has developed payment options for this scheme, which you are welcome to ask about.

Extracting Resources

If you intend to extract timber, gravel or other resources, then you may need to let Council know. 

Why? The extraction of gravel, timber or other resources via road can have impacts on the road over and above what Council has anticipated. If you will generate more than 80 heavy vehicle movements in a month or 210 heavy vehicle movements in a year, then we need to know.

How? Before you plan to extract these resources, we need plenty of warning so that our roading engineers can assess the impact on roads that will be used. We require at least 18 months? notice and there is a Heavy Vehicle Impact Notice that you can complete and return to Council for this.

If you do not notify us 18 months before the activity and you are over the threshold for heavy vehicle movements, you will have to go through a resource consent process.

Failure to notify Council places other road users at risk and may result in roads being damaged beyond repair!

Roading Brochures

Please  visit our Brochures page for information about:

  • Stock crossings and races on road reserve
  • Stock droving in the Clutha District
  • Trees shading or overhanging Road Reserve
  • Produce in the road corridor and damage/danger to roads
  • Advertising signs in the Clutha District

Tuapeka Mouth Ferry  - The Punt

The punt will operating under winter hours which are 8-10am and 3-5pm.

The ferry normally operates daily: 8.00am to 10.00am and 4.00pm to 6.00pm subject to river conditions. However, in winter it operates from 8.00am - 10.00am and 3.00pm - 5.00pm.  The ferry does not operate in the hours of darkness. The ferry does not operate on Good Friday, and Christmas day.  It will be closed in the morning on ANZAC Day, reopening from 3-5pm​.​ 

There is no charge.

Sometimes due to variable river conditions, the punt may not be operating. Please contact Council on 0800 801 350 during office hours or 03 415 9068 to check.

 The Tuapeka Ferry is a 25 minute drive from Lawrence, on the Tuapeka West Road to Balclutha, or 35 minutes from Balclutha on the Clutha Valley - Tuapeka Mouth Roads.

The Clutha River was first crossed by rowing boats until community agitation for the establishment of a punt at Tuapeka Mouth was successful in 1895. The Tuapeka Mouth ferry, also commonly referred to as the Tuapeka Mouth Punt, was officially opened on 22 February 1896. The punt is still operational today and operates on an established schedule when conditions are suitable.


Road and bridge closures

For all road and bridge closures please visit our road, bridge and water notices page.

Page reviewed: 15 Apr 2019 4:36pm