District Plan & Information


​District Plan Zoning Review

Plan Change 41A – Milton Industrial Structure Plan

The Clutha District Council has prepared Plan Change 41A – Milton Industrial Structure Plan, to the Clutha District Plan. The plan change proposes further details for areas within the proposed Industrial Resource Area that was included in Plan Change 41. These areas are shown on the attached map. More detailed maps, along with supporting information can be viewed at: www.cluthadc.govt.nz/consultation

The proposed plan change may also be inspected at the Clutha District Council Offices, 1 Rosebank Terrace; Lawrence Service Centre, 5 Peel Street, Lawrence; Milton Service Centre, 124-126 Union Street, Milton; and Tapanui Service Centre, Suffolk Street, Tapanui, or on Council's website www.cluthadc.govt.nz.  Please contact David Campbell (Phone 03 419 0200) if you have any questions about the proposal.

Any person may make a submission by sending a written or electronic submission to the Clutha District Council at PO Box 25, Balclutha, email planning@cluthadc.govt.nz or fax 03 418 3185. The submission must be in form 5 and must state whether or not you wish to be heard on your submission. Copies of this form are available from the Clutha District Council.

Submissions close at 5pm on Monday 25 February 2019.

The process for public participation in the consideration of the proposal under the Act is as follows:

  • after the closing date for submission, the Clutha District Council must prepare a summary of decisions requested by submitters and give public notice of the availability of this summary and where the summary and submissions can be inspected; and
  • there must be an opportunity for the following persons to make a further submission in support of, or in opposition to, the submissions already made:
    • any person representing a relevant aspect of the public interest:
    • any person who has an interest in the proposal greater than the general public has:
    • the local authority itself; and
  • if a person making a submission asks to be heard in support of his or her submission, a hearing must be held; and
  • the Clutha District Council must give its decision on the provisions and matters raised in the submissions (including its reasons for accepting or rejecting submissions) and give public notice of its decision within 2 years of notifying the proposal and serve it on every person who made a submission at the same time; and
  • any person who has made a submission has the right to appeal against the decision on the proposal to the Environment Court if,—
    • in relation to a provision or matter that is the subject of the appeal, the person referred to the provision or matter in the person's submission on the proposal; and
    • in the case of a proposal that is a proposed policy statement or plan, the appeal does not seek the withdrawal of the proposal as a whole.


The Clutha District Council has prepared the following changes proposed to the Clutha Disytrict Plan:

  • Balclutha re-zoning - Plan Change 39
  • Stirling re-zoning - Plan Change 40
  • Milton re-zoning - Plan Change 41

Each plan change proposes areas of land in and around these towns that could be rezoned to Urban, Transitional or Industrial Resource Areas. These areas, along with supporting information can be viewed below or at the Council offices in Balclutha, Milton, Lawrence and Tapanui.  Any queries contact David Campbell on 03 419 0200.  Find out more here.

Outstanding Natural Landscapes Review 

The Clutha District Council is in the initial stages of reviewing the Outstanding Natural Landscapes in the district as part of our District Plan review.  Find out more here.

District Plan

The Clutha District Plan is a legal document which helps the Council manage how land is used and developed. The district plan is a document which is used by council to guide decision making under the Resource Management Act. As a district council we are responsible for making decisions about: 

- The effects of land use or a new activity
- Subdivisions
- The effect of activities on the surface of rivers and  lakes

The District Plan is the key document Council can use to manage the development across the district by regulating the environmental effects created by new buildings and activities.

The plan contains rules that may affect you if you are undertaking a development, subdivision or land use proposal. There are general provisions and rules which relate to any development across the district and also specific rules depending on what zone your property is located within.   If your proposed activity is not permitted by the plan then you may be required to apply for resource consent. Information about the resource consent process can be found on our Resource Consents webpage

You can find our District Plan here, including information about how to use it along with Council's GIS Property Mapping Tool. 

Plan Changes

The Council reviews and updates the District Plan from time to time. It is important that you are aware of what changes have been made to the District Plan and if there are any upcoming proposals to change the District Plan.

The District Plan is a document that that is developed for the community and it is important that you are able to be informed and involved in any changes to the Plan. If you need to check the accuracy and currency of any of the documents in this section contact the District Plan team.

​Proposed Changes

​Plan Change​Status
39-41 Rezoning of Balclutha, Stirling and Milton

Plan change notified 11 November 2017

Submissions close 11 December 2017

It is important to note that depending on the progress of the proposed plan change, under the Resource Management Act, the proposed changes can trigger a resource consent or can be taken into account when making decisions on resource consents. For help working out what you should be considering please call us on 0800 801 350 and ask to speak to a planner.

Private Plan Changes

Any person can request a private plan change. A private plan change is a process that is not initiated by the Council but undergoes a similar process as any other plan change. For more information on this process you can visit the Ministry for the Environment website or the Quality Planning website.

Our Fees and Charges set out the current fees for undertaking a private plan change.  

For more information on this process please call us on 0800 801 350 and ask to speak to a planner. 

District Plan Review Programme

2014/15 - 2015/16 ​ ​​Status
​1.Industrial and Urban for Balclutha and Milton/Milburn & Stirling through to notified plan changes in early 2016 (includes Transistional Resource Areas).Notified
​2.​Coastal Environment Study (joint study with DCC, WDC and ORC).Complete​
​3.​Landscape Study - upper areas (Umbrella Ranges and Lammerlaws).​Complete
4.Minor Plan Chanes (e.g. financial contributions)​.​On hold
​2015/16 - 2016/17​Status
​1.​Coastal Environment and Landscape Study (Catlins).​Underway
​2.​Coastal Urban Areas (Taieri Mouth, Kaka Point, Newhaven, Pounawea, Papatowai) re-zoning opportunities.
​3.​Landscape Study - upper areas (Umbrella Ranges and Lammerlaws).​Underway
​4.​Minor Plan Changes.
​ ​2016/17 - 2017/18​Status
​1.​Coastal Environment and Landscape Study (Catlins).​Underway
​2.​Coastal Urban Areas (Taieri Mouth, Kaka Point, Newhaven, Pounawea, Papatowai) re-zoning opportunities.
​3.​Inland Urban Areas (Waihola, Kaitangata, Lawrence, Tapanui, Heriot, Owaka, Clinton) rezoning opportunities.
​4. ​​Minor Plan Changes.
​ ​2017/18 - 2018/19​Status
1.​Inland Urban Areas (Waihola, Kaitangata, Lawrence, Tapanui, Heriot, Owaka, Clinton) rezoning opportunities.
​3.​Rural & Rural Settlement.
​4.​Minor Plan Changes.
2018/19 - 2019/20​ ​​Status
​1.​Rural & Rural Settlement.
​2.​District-wide Topics.
​3.​Minor Plan Changes.

Related Links

Page reviewed: 17 Jan 2019 4:00pm