Worried about paying your rates?
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic and the impact this has had on our economy, we know that the arrival of the fourth rates instalment, due for payment on the 29th May 2020, may be a concern.
We have several options for ratepayers who are struggling with job losses and other pressures because of the pandemic.
- Set up a direct debit to spread your payments equally over the instalment period or beyond if necessary.
- Consider reducing the frequency of an existing direct debit to make smaller more regular payments.
- Reduce the amount of your direct debit temporarily until your situation improves
- Rates payment arrangements, including deferred payment dates, are another option. This is where you and Council agree a individual payment plan for your particular circumstances. We already have a number of ratepayers on payment plans.
The key to this is that you must contact Council as soon as possible to discuss and implement a plan. Late payment penalties will not apply if a repayment arrangement has been agreed.
To discuss a rates payment plan in confidence please contact us before the payment date:
- Email email@example.com with ‘Rates payment plan’ in the subject line.
- Phone us on 03 419 0281 or 03 419 0260.
This is a Government scheme to assist people on lower fixed incomes to pay their rates. The applicant would need to provide their household income details to 31st March 2019 for thecurrent rating year.
If you are eligible and have not yet returned you application form, please make sure you send us your form before the 30th June 2020.
If you have not applied in the past but you may be eligible, contact us as above to see whether you can benefit from this scheme.
Page reviewed: 01 May 2020 12:29pm