Clutha District Council urban seal extension work will get underway in the coming months.
Councillors confirmed the planned programme of work at a workshop held on October 18.
Mayor Bryan Cadogan said a budget of $2 million spread over three years had been set aside for sealing gravel roads in urban areas and it was good to get a final list of roads confirmed and underway.
“As our communities evolve we have seen an increasing need to put an urban sealing programme in place to respond to the needs and re-balance the levels of service offered in our towns throughout the district,” Mayor Cadogan said.
Service Delivery Group Manager Jules Witt said the work was planned to be completed in three years however there was potential for it to be carried out sooner pending resources and contract pricing.
“Four kilometres of urban seal extensions will be carried out over the next two years, with work starting in the southern areas of Papatowai, Pounawea, Clinton and Kaka Point, with further short sections of seal extension in Stirling, Heriot and Kaitangata.” Mr Witt said.
He said the balance of the work would then be completed in 2019-20 in the areas of Milton, Tokoiti, Waihola and Taieri Mouth.
Now Council has approved the work roading staff will be begin survey and design of individual roads with physical construction hoped to commence by February.
“We are aiming to have the 2018-19 planned work completed by April 2019 but as always we are at the mercy of mother nature and we will keep residents updated if this changes.”
The roads to be sealed in 2018-19:
- Bard Street (existing seal to Fitfiel Street)
- Fitfiel Street (Halsey Street to Bard Street)
- George Street (70m back from Nelson Street to link with fuel stop exit)
- Branksea Street (existing seal to Water Street)
- Brighton Street (Selsea Street to end of road)
- Selsea Street (existing seal to end of road)
- Wood Street (existing seal to end of road)
- Cross Street (220m, starting at Alexandra Street)
- Lilly Street (80m, starting at Mirren Street)
- Wratten Road (Ocean Grove to Arthur Road)
- Hill Street (Baker Street to end of road)
The roads to be sealed in 2019-20:
- Lisburn Street (existing seal to Macandrew Street)
- Macandrew Street (Lisburn Street to Tokoiti Road)
- Riverside Road (Marine Parade to end of road)
- Sawmill Road (Moturata Road to Frances Street)
- Dudgeon Street (Spurn Street to Clare Street)
- Spurn Street (Leman Street to Dowsing Street)
- Chatham Street (existing seal to Sheerness Street)
- George Street (Kilgour Street to Ross Street)
- Kilgour Street (Existing seal to George Street)
- Sheerness Street (Nore Street to Chatham Street)