Wednesday 4 July 2018
Feedback sought of Representation Review Proposal
Council wants to know your thoughts on a proposal to make some changes to the way local government representation works in the Clutha District.
Every six years councils are required to review their representation arrangements and the Clutha District Council needs to do this before the 2019 local body elections.
An initial informal public feedback round was carried out earlier this year, but now is your chance to make a formal submission.
While no major changes are being proposed to the current representation arrangements, the proposal out for consultation includes:
Changing the name of the Lawrence-Tuapeka Community Board and Lawrence-Tuapeka Ward to Tuapeka Community Board and Tuapeka Ward.
Retaining 14 councillors plus the mayor, the reason the total number of councillors is proposed to remain at 14 is to provide effective representation to residents and ratepayers spread across our large district. The district would remain divided into the following eight wards:
• Balclutha Ward (four councillors)
• Bruce Ward (three councillors)
• Catlins Ward (one councillor)
• Clinton Ward (one councillor)
• Clutha Valley Ward (one councillor)
• Kaitangata-Matau Ward (one councillor)
• Tuapeka Ward (one councillor)
• West Otago Ward (two councillors).
We're also proposing the two current community boards remain, the West Otago Community Board with six members plus two appointed ward councillors and the Tuapeka Community Board with six members plus one appointed ward councillor.
Lastly we are proposing some minor ward boundary changes to better reflect fairer representation and communities of interest. The following would be affected by these proposed changes:
• Kaka Point would move from the Balclutha Ward to the Catlins Ward
• Pukekoma and Hillend would move from the Bruce Ward to the Clutha Valley Ward
• Round Hill and Manuka Creek would move from the Bruce Ward to the Tuapeka Ward.
All the information, (including an online submission form) is available on the consultation page of our website – www.cluthadc.govt.nz/consultation
Hard copies are available at Council offices and service centres.
Feedback closes 5pm, Friday 3 August 2018.