Within the Clutha District Waka Kotahi (NZTA) takes care of the State Highways and Clutha District Council maintains all other roads, known as local roads.
With a total network of 2,903 km, the Clutha District has the third-largest local roading network in New Zealand. Of this, 833km is sealed and 2,070km is unsealed. Rural roads make up 95% of the total network. We also have 360 bridges.
However, we administer more roading assets than just roads including footpaths and streetlights.
Our main roading tasks include:
- road, bridge and culvert maintenance and replacement
- reforming and rehabilitating sealed roads
- grading and metalling of unsealed roads
- footpath maintenance and construction
- seal extensions
- car park maintenance and construction
- street lighting, and;
- road safety engineering projects.
While all of our roading activities are financially assisted by Waka Kotahi. not all roading activities are eligible for financial assistance.
Reporting Minor Accidents
Find out what we are doing to stop people dying on our roads
Traffic Management Plan
Waka Kotahi State Highway Projects