Nominations slow for West Otago Ward By-election
Nominations slow for Clutha District Council West Otago Ward By-election
With one week to go before nominations close for the West Otago Ward by-election, candidates are proving slow to put their names forward.
By today (Tuesday 12 January 2021), no nominations have been received for the one vacancy.
Candidates have until 12 noon on Tuesday 19 January 2021 to get their nominations in.
To be eligible to stand for election, a candidate must be:
- enrolled as a Parliamentary elector; and
- a New Zealand citizen; and
- nominated by two electors of the West Otago Ward area.
Nomination papers are available during normal business hours from:
- Clutha District Council’s Main Office, 1 Rosebank Terrace, Balclutha;
- Tapanui Service/Information Centre, 1 Suffolk Street, Tapanui;
- by accessing Council's West Otago By-Election online information
- by phoning 0800 922 822
Nominations of candidates must be in the hands of the electoral officer or an electoral official at the above locations, no later than 12 noon Tuesday 19 January 2021.
If more than one nomination is received by the close of nominations at noon on Tuesday 19 January 2021, a postal ballot will be held for the electors of the West Otago Ward. The by-election will conclude at noon, Wednesday 17 March 2021. Preliminary results will be available that afternoon.
For more information please contact: the Electoral Office, Clutha District Council, telephone 0800 922 822.