Clutha Warm Homes Voluntary Targeted Rate Programme
If you want to make your home warmer, drier and more sustainable, and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for financial assistance through our Clutha Warm Homes Programme.
As a ratepayer you can apply for up to $5,000 (including GST) which is paid back through your rates over up to five years.
If you are a tenant or landlord and are applying for help to pay for ceiling and under-floor insulation, you can also apply for an ENERGYWISE grant through the Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority (EECA).
For more details about EECA ENERGYWISE grants, visit the ENERGYWISE website or phone 0800 749 782.
The Clutha Warm Homes Programme delivered by Clutha District Council is a cost neutral programme that seeks to improve the quality of housing for Clutha residents by enabling better access to insulation and clean heating measures.
The programme provides multiple benefits for Clutha. In addition to the primary outcomes such as improved local air quality, installing insulation and clean heating provides for financial savings for households, and improved quality of life and life expectancy for occupiers who suffer from an illness related to cold and damp housing.
You are eligible if:
- You are a Clutha District Council ratepayer.
- You are up to date with your rate payments and have a good payment history.
- You are the ratepayer of the property (including landlords). The property must be within the Clutha District boundary and built before the year 2008.
- You agree to pay all your rates by direct debit on an agreed basis (ideally monthly, fortnightly or weekly) for the period of the targeted rate (up to 5 years).
- You provide a quote for approved insulation and heating from your CDC-registered service provider.
- With your service provider, you correctly fill in the required areas of all forms and meet all the requirements of the Clutha Warm Homes programme.
- You can apply for up to $5,000 financial assistance to access the following home improvement interventions: home insulation and clean heating. For clean heat interventions, your home must already be insulated.
- If you have more than one house, you can apply for assistance for each of them.
How to Apply
If you're interested in any of the above interventions:
- Download the application form below, or phone us on 03 419 0200 to have one sent to you. Your application pack contains an application form, and a ratepayer agreement. A summary of frequently asked questions and answers is also available below, including general information on the programme
- You can then request quotes from the service providers we pre-approved for the service. You can't do the installation yourself as we want to ensure safety and high-quality workmanship.
- When you've decided, return a signed copy of your selected quote along with a completed application form, ratepayer agreement and direct debit form.
- We will process your application and notify your chosen supplier(s) so that they can undertake the work.
- The supplier will contact you to install your insulation/heating.
- Once the install is complete, we will pay your supplier directly. We will also notify you by sending you a repayment letter.
- Your repayments will be added to your rates at the beginning of the rating year, i.e. 1 July each year. You can make voluntary payments earlier if you wish.
Direct Debit Form (1.2MB)
Frequently Asked Questions (96KB)
Approved Service Providers
Please see attached for a list of our approved service providers, through which you can obtain a quote and apply to be part of the voluntary targeted rate scheme for your chosen product.
You will repay this assistance over up to five years through a targeted rate included on your rates bill. This will only be added to your rates at the beginning of the rating year, i.e. 1 July each year.
If you want to repay the assistance earlier, you can make extra repayments. There are no early repayment charges or penalties, however, the retrofit portion that is pending on your rates still needs to be paid to rates until the end of the financial year. If you would like to make extra payments, contact us.
Your repayment dates are the same as your rates instalments. This is usually August, November, February and May. Please see your rates notice for the actual dates each year.
The table below will give you an idea of your payments. The increase in your rates will not start until the new rating year, 1 July.
This table is to be used as a guide only and there are many variables that will influence your payment amounts.
|Clutha District Council payment option (includes GST)||$1000||$2000||$3000||$4000||$5000|
|Approximate amount payable each year (includes GST)||$211||$422||$633||$844||$1055|
|Approximate per quarterly rates instalment (includes GST)||$53||$105||$158||$211||$264|
|Five-year total (including interest and GST)||$1055||$2109||$3164||$4219||$5273|
The current interest rate is 2.05 per cent.
Once your assistance is added to your rates, this will appear in your Rates Notice as "Clutha Warm Homes Targeted Rate". The Loan Value is the GST-inclusive balance as at 30 June each year, and the Rate (not the rate of interest) is used to calculate the targeted rate for the year.
Selling Your House
If you sell your house with an outstanding amount owing on your VTR, you must:
- tell any prospective owner about the existence of the targeted rate
- include a written provision in any sale agreement recording that disclosure
- notify the Clutha District Council Warm Homes programme team
- you may also arrange to pay the targeted rate in full.
Terms and Conditions
Our terms and conditions are also available at the back of the:
You can cancel your application within seven working days of the initial disclosure by Clutha District Council to you. For more information on cancellations see:
Cancellations - CCCFA 2003 (22KB)
Enquiries, Feedback and Complaints
Clutha Warm Homes Programme
C/O Angela Ferguson
Clutha District Council
PO Box 25
Phone: 0800 801 350