19 September 2017
Second Hand Sunday 2017
The initiative known as Second Hand Sunday is back for another year and taking place on 1 October. It's your chance to have an annual Spring Clean.
Second Hand Sunday works like a garage sale but no money changes hands, instead you register to take part and then on 1 October simply put the stuff out you’d like to get rid of – in case anyone else wants it. Contemplating having a garage sale? Consider having it on the same day, as lots of people will be out looking for second hand treasures.
Register your address and Council will advertise it on your behalf, the week prior.
It’s easy, after registering online here, you simply:
1. Gather the items you want to give away, there is no limit – it could be one item or 10.
2. Identify a suitable site on your property boundary - e.g. driveway or near your letter box
3. On Sunday 1 October from 9.00 am onwards:
- Display the poster (or your own sign) on your letter box
- Place items at the site
- At the end of the day, bring in any items left
- You can stay with your items or leave them unattended.
For those people keen to find a treasure and collect items, please remember:
- Collect items from participating households.
- Collect items between the advertised hours
- We recommend you have electrical items checked to make sure they are safe.
- Do not enter their properties - no one wants to trespass.
It’s a great way to re-use items you no longer want, but are too good to get rid of. Get involved and find out more here.
Contact: Clutha District Council Waste Minimisation Officer on 03 419 0200